Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Season 2, Episode 4: Cherokee Rose

I had a feeling that this episode would be a bit of a pause in what's been going on lately. The past three episodes have all ended with our characters in some form of dire straits (Carl getting shot, Otis and Shane getting locked in the school, Shane killing Otis) I had a feeling that this episode would let them take a breath. There were some welcome moments of ease, and even comedy this episode, but overall this episode basically just felt like a pause. Nothing really wrong with that, it just won't go down on anyone's "Best Episodes of The Walking Dead" list.

First thing I want to point out. I thought I would have gotten used to the cheesy dialogue by now, but sometimes it's just a bit annoying. And I don't necessarily mean the actual dialogue is cheesy (though sometimes it is), I mean that the writers seem to make the all-too-easy, cliche choices. For instance, what was the point of having Shane give the eulogy at Otis' funeral. Would the mother really ask that of Shane? And what if Otis had died, not because of Rick, but because of solely the walkers? What is the point of this punishment of Shane from the writers? I haven't the faintest, thus this was an eye roll moment.

Another moment that bothered me was the God discussion between Hershel and Rick. Rick already told Hershel how he felt about God and spirituality. I understand that most religious people always tend to ask "why can't you just believe?" over and over again, but it get's annoying. And again, I didn't really see what the point of this scene, unless its to foreshadow just how much Hershel believes in the rules that he has on his farm and where exactly these rules came from. There were a few glances from both Maggie and Hershel that makes me think something rather interesting may indeed be in store for this story arc. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The one exchange that should have, but for some reason did not bother me was when Darryl found the cherokee rose and gave it to Carol. It seemed a bit easy that he would know this story about this flower  he found that so matched Carol's exact experiences at this moment, yet I'm willing to forgive it for a specific reason, character development. Darryl is becoming, if hasn't already my favorite character on the show. He's compassionate, he's hilarious, and he knows how to kill a zombie. But while I was watching the episode I couldn't help but wonder why is he so fixated on finding Sophia. And then it hit me. What if he isn't just looking for Sophia. What if he is looking for his brother, Merle, as well.

I have a feeling we are in for a very interesting next couple of episodes.

Some stray observations:
-How awesome was it to see that fat, pruned-up walker get ripped in two. Easily one of the shows gnarliest (hilarious) moments.
-I'm glad Glen is finally getting more screen time. He is one of my favorite characters in the comics and he's  been criminally underused in the show. Glad he's finally getting some action. (Sorry guys that was just too easy.)

-The tension in the scene when Glen is lowered, and then almost dropped into the well with the fat zombie was great stuff. For a moment there I really thought Glen was a goner.
-Anybody curious about how that zombie not only managed to get in the well, but survived the fall as well?
-Damn I hope Lori goes on some sort of talk show and has the paternity test done. What? There is a zombie apocalypse and all trashy talk shows have been cancelled? Shame... 

Zombie Kill of the Week: Do you need to ask?

Final Verdict: 6.5 out of 10 Headshots. Like I said, I had a few problems with the choices the writers made in this episode. I loved the Glen and Maggie stuff. I loved the Darryl and Carol bit. Everything else was sort of "meh." Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come for the show. Unless we get to see more zombies ripped in half. They can show that exact scene in every episode for all I care.

No comments:

Post a Comment